Ballindine, Co. Mayo

September 8, 2021

U-19 County final v Knockmore match report

Knockmore 5-11  Davitts 2-10 (AET)

After chasing the game for most of the first hour, Knockmore captured the Mayo U-19 Div 2 title, defeating Davitts, after taking command in extra time. The game was played in Breaffy on Wednesday evening with the sides deadlocked after normal time as Knockmore grabbed a late equaliser to send the game into extra time.

Davitts Niall Treacy opened the scoring with a first minute point. This was cancelled out by Charlie Bourke for Knockmore a minute later but points from Niall Treacy (2), Jack Melvin and Jack Devane put Davitts four ahead before Charlie Bourke pointed for Knockmore just before the first water break.

Ethan Clarke pointed for Knockmore in the 19th minute but a fine Jack Devane goal for Davitts in the 23rd minute, after great approach play from Mark Birmingham, Niall Treacy and Fenton Kelly, put his side five points up. Knockmore points from Fergal Keane and Charlie Bourke in the 24th and 26th minutes saw Davitts lead by 1-5 to 0-5 at halftime.

Niall Treacy and Fenton Kelly pointed early in the second half for Davitts who goaled again in the 35th minute, Jack Melvin converting from the penalty spot after he had been fouled. This put Davitts eight points ahead and there only looked like one winner but Knockmore had other ideas. Tadgh O Sullivan pointed to reduce the deficit with a 37th minute point but although Niall Treacy cancelled out this score in the 40th minute, Knockmore were beginning to get more into the game. Tadgh O Sullivan pointed again in the 42nd minute and midfielder Tadgh Staunton goaled in the 48th minute, reacting quickest after Davitts keeper Tristan Diskin had pulled off a great save from Mikie McHale. Charlie Bourke pointed again for Knockmore in the 48th minute and five minutes later a long range point attempt from Tadgh O Sullivan dropped short and was flicked to the net by Mikie McHale to tie the game. Niall Treacy pointed in the 58th minute to restore Davitts lead but Charlie Bourke shot the equaliser with virtually the last kick of the game to force extra time.

Knockmore pointed in the first minute of extra time through Charlie Bourke and the same player capitalised on a Davitts defensive error to goal from the kickout. Another Knockmore goal in the 5th minute from substitute Oliver Armstrong followed by a Charlie Bourke point put Knockmore eight points ahead at half time.

The second period of extra time was messy with not much constructive football being played. Niall Treacy pulled a point back for Davitts but that man Charlie Bourke had the final say, gaoling again for Knockmore in the last minute, in the fading light and torrential rain.

Knockmore displayed great fighting spirit in this game with Diarmuid Brogan, Sean McLoughlin, Sean King, Conor Dunne, Tadgh Staunton, man of the match Charlie Bourke, Tadgh O Sullivan and Mikie McHale impressing.

Davitts had top performers in Micheal Hett, Charlie Phillips, Thomas Ronayne, Fionnan Gallagher, Cathal Corless, Fenton Kelly, Niall Treacy and Jack Melvin.

Knockmore: Jim Kelly, Diarmuid Brogan, Keith Coleman, Sean McLoughlin, Sean King, Martin Orme, Michael Holmes, Conor Dunne, Tadgh Staunton (1-0), Brian Durkin, Charlie Bourke (2-7), Fergal Keane (0-1), Tadgh O Sullivan (0-2), Mikie McHale (1-0), Ethan Clarke (0-1). Sub used: Oliver Armstrong (1-0).

Davitts: Tristan Diskin, Micheal Hett, Charlie Phillips, Brian Og McTigue, Thomas Ronayne, Fionnan Gallagher, Mark Birmingham, Cathal Corless, Fenton Kelly (0-1), Jack Trench, Jack Devane (1-1), Joe Prendergast, Niall Treacy (0-7), Jack Melvin (1-1), Zack Keadin. Subs used: Dylan Gallagher, Fionn McLoughlin, Sean Keadin, Davey Hennessy.


Please follow and like us:
Scroll to top