Ballindine, Co. Mayo

October 29, 2019

U-16s V Claremorris–South ‘A’ Final Match Report

Davitts 4-5 Claremorris 1-7

Davitts captured the South Mayo U-16 A title with a well deserved seven point victory over neighbours Claremorris on Tuesday night in Bekan. The two sides had played each other twice earlier on in the season with both games ending in stalemate but Davitts were more clinical on this occasion and led from pillar to post in front of a fine attendance.

The outstanding Fionnan Gallagher opened the scoring for Davitts in the fourth minute with a fine point into the strong wind. Jack Devane doubled the lead a minute later, after fine work by Bon Glynn and Dylan Gallagher. Claremorris midfielder Thomas McCormack Flanagan opened his side’s account in the seventh minute with a fine point from play. From the resulting kickout Davitts strung together a sweeping move which ended with Bon Glynn firing home his side’s first goal. Thomas McCormack Flanagan with two well struck points and a Mark Maloney free cut the lead to a point in the 18th minute.

Fionnan Gallagher put Davitts two up in the 23rd minute and two minutes later Davitts crafted another fine goal with Dylan Gallagher finishing in style after great work by Jack Devane and Fionnan Gallagher. Evan O Brien and Lewis Lally combined for a Claremorris point converted by Lally in the 27th minute and Jack Devane, with a well struck 40 metre free kick, closed the first half scoring in the 30th minute to leave Davitts ahead by 2-4 to 0-5 at halftime.

Claremorris started the second half brightly with Conor Dennedy pointing in the 33rd minute. Cathal Corless cancelled this score out three minutes later with a fantastic point after a searing run. The same player set up dynamic corner back Sean Keadin for Davitts third goal in the thirty eighth minute and he finished emphatically past the Claremorris keeper. Claremorris were enjoying a lot of possession but poor shooting, fine Davitts defending and some great saves by Tristan Diskin made it difficult for them to close the gap.

Mark Maloney pointed a free for Claremorris in the 45th minute after the lively Niall Hurley, a second half substitute, was fouled. Davitts wrapped the game up in the 47th minute, another patient build up resulting in a fourth goal, scored by Cathal Corless after terrific play by Fenton Kelly and Dylan Gallagher. Davitts were happy to contain Claremorris who tried earnestly up to the final whistle. The only score in the last twelve minutes of the game was an injury time goal for Claremorris by Niall Hurley after fine work by Thomas McCormack Flanagan and Oran McNulty.

This was a fine team display by Davitts with Michael Hett, Sean Keadin, Tomas Ronayne, Fionnan Gallagher, Cathal Corless, Jack Devane and Bon Glynn in exceptional form.

Best for Claremorris were Darragh Joyce, Oran McNulty, Joe Gilmore, Thomas McCormack Flanagan, Mark Maloney and Niall Hurley.

Davitts: Tristan Diskin, Brian Og McTigue, Micheal Hett, Sean Keadin (1-0), Brian Birmingham, Tomas Ronayne, John Wallace, Fionnan Gallagher (0-2), Fenton Kelly, Joe Prendergast, Cathal Corless (1-1), Jack Melvin, Bon Glynn (1-0), Jack Devane (0-2), Dylan Gallagher (1-0). Sub used: Mark Birmingham.

Claremorris: Aidan McGing, James Wooley, Darragh Joyce, Padraig McHugh, Oran McNulty, Joe Gilmore, Harry Smyth, Evan O Brien, Thomas McCormack Flanagan (0-3), Mark Maloney (0-2), Michael J Duffy, Lewis Lally (0-1), Liam McCormack, Conor Dennedy (0-1), Johnny Cummins. Subs used: Paul Gilmore, Niall Hurley (1-0), Dara Hurley.

Referee: Kevin Connelly.

Please follow and like us:
Scroll to top