Ballindine, Co. Mayo

September 23, 2018

Seniors v Aghamore – Match Report

Aghamore 2-11 Davitts 1-8

Aghamore won a Senior Championship Relegation play-off against Davitts in Ballyhaunis on Saturday evening. It was a very well balanced game until Davitts went down to fourteen players with seven minutes to play, and then Aghamore used their numerical advantage well to ensure their Senior Championship status for next season.

Cathal Hennelly opened the scoring with a point after thirty seconds. Aghamore replied through Fergal Boland a minute later. An Evan Ronane free in the third minute saw Davitts regain the lead but Ross Egan kicked the equaliser on six minutes with a neat point from play. Shane Treacy kicked a beauty in the 7th and Ronan McNamara put Davitts two up in the 9th minute. Ross Egan kicked the game’s next three points in the 12th, 15th and 22nd minutes, the latter two from frees that often wouldn’t be awarded, with Davitts supporters particularly annoyed as Josh Ronayne looked to have been fouled in the 16th minute for a free in but the ref waved play on.

Colm Boyle, the best player on view, kicked a super point to equalise for Davitts and Ross Egan and Liam Kearns swapped points to leave the sides all square, 0-6 apiece, at the break.

Alan Freeman, quiet in the first half, opened the second half scoring with a goal in the first minute, when he converted Iarla Carty’s fine long delivery at the second attempt after Davitts keeper Cian Naughton had saved his first effort. A Fergal Boland point in the sixth minute put Aghamore four ahead and they looked like they were set to pull away. Davitts however didn’t bow and when Colm Boyle scored a terrific goal, a powerful finish after bursting past several players in the ninth minute, the gap was back to a point. Josh Ronayne shot the equaliser in the 12th minute.

Sean Og Tighe and Liam Kearns pointed for either side in the 14th and 15th minutes before Ross Egan put Aghamore ahead a minute later from a free kick.. The game was well poised at this stage but with seven minutes remaining, Egan pointed again for Aghamore and from the kick out Patrick Keadin, Davitts corner back got a second yellow card. An Iarla Carty goal in the 26th minute killed off the South Mayo challenge and Alan Freeman kicked the last score of the game, a point in the 31st minute.

Aghamore had fine displays from Conor Kilkenny, Iarla Carty, Brendan Harrison, Enda Sweeney, Sean Og Tighe, Fergal Boland, Alan Freeman and Ross Egan.

Davitts best were Cian Naughton, Padraig Mangan, Cathal Higgins, Colm Boyle, Dimitry Trench, Shane Treacy, Liam Kearns and Andrew Peters.

Aghamore: Adam Byrne, David Kenny, Niall Freeman, Conor Kilkenny, Iarla Carty (1-0), Brendan Harrison, Ciaran Harrison, Enda Sweeney, Sean Og Tighe (0-1), Darren Duffy, Fergal Boland (0-2), James Lyons, Alan Freeman (1-1), Ross Egan (0-7), Robert Lyons. Subs used: Justin Kelly, James McNieve.

Davitts: Cian Naughton, Patrick Keadin, Padraig Mangan, Brian Clarke, Cathal Higgins, Colm Boyle (1-1), Dimitry Trench, Paul Carey, Ronan McNamara (0-1), Shane Treacy (0-1), Josh Ronayne (0-2), Daniel Huane, Cathal Hennelly (0-1), Liam Kearns (0-2), Evan Ronane. Subs used: Andrew Peters, Aidan McTigue.

Referee: Jerome Henry.

Please follow and like us:
Scroll to top