Ballindine, Co. Mayo

April 28, 2024

Senior League 1A v Charlestown match report

Charlestown 2-7 Davitts 2-7

Charlestown hosted Davitts in the first round of the Senior League Division 1A on Saturday evening with the spoils being shared after a good battle in testing conditions. A massive downpour lasting for about an hour before the throw-in meant an extremely slippery surface but both sets of players deserve credit for serving up a competitive and entertaining match. Both teams had chances to win, both camps probably thought they should have won but the draw was a fair result.

Charlestown opened the scoring with a second minute point which was cancelled out by Niall Treacy, the best player on the pitch, two minutes later. Davitts, whose ferocious work-rate all over the field was admirable, had two more Niall Treacy points in the 13th and 14th minutes. In the 24th minute a Charlestown effort for a point was dropping harmlessly short but Davitts full-back Cathal Higgins, who had a fine match, slipped and his man gleefully got possession and finished smartly past Joe Prendergast, to give the homeside the lead. They extended the lead to two with a 27th minute point. Davitts finished the half with a Jack Devane point in the 30th minute after an excellent move involving several players.

Davitts equalised four minutes into the second through Niall Treacy and took the lead a minute later courtesy of wing back Sean Keadin who combined well with Colm Boyle before punching over. An opportunistic goal by Niall Treacy two minutes later put Davitts four ahead. Charlestown pulled a point back in the 38th minute but three minutes later Davitts struck for a goal of the highest quality with that man Treacy rifling an unstoppable 20 metre strike to the roof of the net after a brilliant move involving Charlie Phillips, Colm Boyle, Darragh McGale, Shane Treacy and Liam Kearns. A brace of Charlestown points in the next two minutes narrowed the gap to four points but Davitts midfielder Charlie Phillips pointed in the 45th minute to put his side five ahead. The homeside began to get on top in the final quarter and points in the 48th and 49th minutes closed the gap to three. They capitalised on a Davitts error in the 55th minute to score an equalising goal on the break. Both teams had chances to get a winner in the closing minutes with Charlestown missing three gilt edged point scoring opportunities before referee Ronan Gurren, who handled the game well, blew the final whistle.

This was a great team effort by Davitts with Joe Prendergast, Cathal Higgins, Tommy Waldron and Thomas Ronayne superb in defence. Mark Birmingham and Charlie Phillips did well at midfield while Niall Treacy was the star of a very hard working forward-line.

Davitts: Joe Prendergast, Jordan Flanagan, Cathal Higgins, Kieran Fahy, Tommy Waldron, Thomas Ronayne, Sean Keadin (0-1), Mark Birmingham, Charlie Phillips (0-1), Shane Treacy, Liam Kearns, Jack Devane (0-1), Niall Treacy (2-4), Darragh McGale, Colm Boyle. Subs used: Michael Hett, Fionn McLoughlin, Patrick Keadin.

Scroll to top