Ballindine, Co. Mayo

October 18, 2021

Senior Championship v Ballina match report

Ballina 1-10  Davitts 0-6

Ballina advanced to the quarter finals of the Mayo Senior championship after defeating a battling Davitts team in the final group game in Charlestown on Sunday. The victory wasn’t as straight forward as the scoreline suggests but an unanswered goal and two points in the last ten minutes of the game saw Ballina through.

Josh Ronayne opened the scoring with a first minute point for Davitts but points from Dylan Thornton, Evan Regan and Ciaran Treacy in the next ten minutes saw Ballina ahead by two points. Josh Ronayne pointed in the 14th minute and a trademark Ronan McNamara free kick from way out saw the sides level, 0-3 apiece, at the first water break. Davitts were playing well with Colm Boyle, Kieran Fahy and Cathal Higgins impressive in defence while Ronan McNamara and Johnno Clarke were edging the midfield battle. All of the forwards were working very hard to make life difficult for Ballina.

Johnno Clarke pointed in the 20th minute to put Davitts ahead and Ronan McNamara extended that lead to two points in the 24th minute with a monster of a free kick. Evan Regan pointed for Ballina in the 27th minute to leave Davitts ahead by 0-5 to 0-4 at halftime.

Ciaran Treacy equalised for Ballina in the 37th minute and points from Conor McStay in the 42nd minute and Ciaran Sweeney two minutes later put Ballina into a two point lead at the second water break. Ballina were now winning the midfield battle as Davitts struggled to win possession in that sector.

Evan Regan put Ballina three ahead in the 49th minute and Evan Ronane pulled a point back for Davitts in the fiftieth minute but this was to be Davitts last score. Ballina corner back David Tighe scored a fine point in the 52nd minute. In the 54th minute a promising Davitts attack broke down, referee Michael Daly dismissed Davitts appeals for a free in and Ballina capitalised with a fine counter attack ending up with Luke Doherty rounding Davitts keeper Keith Prendergast and shooting to the net. Ciaran Treacy scored the last point of the game in the 56th minute as Ballina finished the game well.

Ballina will meet Westport in next week’s quarter final while Davitts will face Kiltane in the relegation semi-final in Breaffy next Saturday at 2pm.

Ballina: Gary Holmes, David Tighe (0-1), Ger Cafferkey, Ciaran Boland, Sean Regan, Padraig O Hora, Sam Callinan, Dylan Thornton (0-1), Jack Irwin, Ciaran Sweeney (0-1), Conor McStay (0-1), Luke Doherty (1-0), Kevin Newell, Evan Regan (0-3), Keith Tighe. Subs used: Ciaran Treacy (0-3).

Davitts: Keith Prendergast, Kieran Fahy, Cathal Higgins, Charlie Phillips, Thomas Ronayne, Colm Boyle, Dmitry Trench, Ronan McNamara (0-2), Johnno Clarke (0-1), Josh Ronayne (0-2), Jack Ronayne, Fenton Kelly, Niall Treacy, Darragh McGale, Evan Ronane (0-1). Subs used: Tommy Waldron, Patrick Keadin, Shane Treacy, Brian Clarke.

Please follow and like us:
Scroll to top