Ballindine, Co. Mayo

July 26, 2020

Michael Walsh League v Kiltane match report

Davitts 2-13

Kiltane 3-9

Kiltane made the long journey to Ballindine on Saturday evening to face Davitts in the Michael Walsh Senior League but a well taken Jack Ronayne point for the homeside in the closing seconds swung the outcome in Davitts favour. It was a result that easily could have gone Kiltane’s way but the game would have been an ideal preparation for next week’s Senior Championship for both teams, the exchanges were very tough throughout with a real Championship air about the match. The match also marked the welcome return of Colm Boyle, his first action since getting injured against Dublin in the National League in February, and he played the first half in his usual competitive style, before sitting out the second half.

After Kiltane opened the scoring in the opening minute Davitts began to dominate the first quarter. A red card for a Kiltane defender in the 10th minute didn’t help their cause and points from Evan Ronane, Ronan McNamara (2), Jack Ronayne and Cathal Hennelly (2) put Davitts 0-6 to 0-1 ahead as the teams took the first half water break. A 21st minute Kiltane point was cancelled out almost immediately by Ronan McNamara who was proving to be a very effective target man. Kiltane narrowed the gap with a pointed free but referee John Glavey awarded Davitts a penalty in the 24th minute when Ronan McNamara was fouled and Jack Ronayne confidently buried the spot kick. Kiltane responded in great fashion and they goaled themselves one minute later. Davitts Evan Ronane was sent off in the 27th minute and the teams swapped points before the break with Ronan Mac again the Davitts scorer to leave Davitts ahead by 1-8 to 1-4 at halftime.

Kiltane opened the second half scoring with a point in the first minute and Ronan Mac cancelled that out with his fifth point. Jack Ronayne extended the lead with a fourth minute point but got sin binned a minute later. With the numerical advantage now in their favour the visitors struck a purple patch. They added an unanswered 2-1 in the next five minutes before Ronan McNamara pointed to settle a clearly rattled Davitts team. Kiltane lost a man to a black card and they went into the second half water break ahead by a point, 3-6 to 1-11.

Kiltane extended their lead with a 21st minute point but the game turned again in the 26th minute when Ronan McNamara was pulled down for a second penalty. Man of the match Jack Ronayne, back from the sin bin, again stepped up and cooly slotted home to put Davitts ahead by a point again. Kiltane responded with two points but young Niall Treacy punched over the equaliser after a good run in the 31st minute. Another Kiltane black card and a second yellow for Davitts captain for the day Patrick Keadin added to the drama as time ran out. Jack Ronayne shot the winner with the outside of his right boot to win the game for Davitts just before the final whistle of a very eventful match.

Best for Davitts were Patrick Keadin, Cathal Higgins, Dmitry Trench, Aidan Macken, Jack Ronayne and Ronan McNamara.

Davitts: Cian Naughton, Patrick Keadin, Kieran Fahy, Tom Corless, Brian Clarke, Cathal Higgins, Dmitry Trench, Aidan Macken, Stephen Nyland, Cathal Hennelly (0-2), Jack Ronayne (2-3), Colm Boyle, Darragh McGale, Ronan McNamara (0-6), Evan Ronane (0-1). Subs used: Niall Treacy (0-1), Johnno Clarke, Liam Macken.

Scroll to top