Ballindine, Co. Mayo

July 25, 2013

Juniors v Burrishoole – Match Report

Davitts and Burrishoole met in the County Junior B Semi-Final in Islandeady on Wednesday evening with the West Mayo side coming out on top by 3-9 to 2-11 after a great contest. While fixing a game like this on a Wednesday evening is, in a lot of people’s opinion, rather disrespecting towards the competition, the late venue change from Breaffy to Islandeady was way out of order. Both sides showed what the game meant to their clubs and the supporters who did make their way to Islandeady were treated to a rip roaring tie that finished with Davitts throwing the kitchen sink at their opponents, in the semi-darkness, but coming up just short.

Burrishoole looked the more purposeful team in the first half and led by 2-5 to 1-4 at the break, availing of defensive lapses to score the goals. Davitts goal came from Clive Hennigan with Liam Noone (2), John Costello and Richie Kilkenny the pointscorers.

Early second half points from Liam Noone and Darren Connolly narrowed the gap to two but Burrishoole dug deep and had extended their lead to six points, 3-7 to 1-7, with twelve minutes left on the clock, punishing another defensive error with a third goal. Points from team captain Tommy Mitchell and Richie Kilkenny and a Seamus Roche goal set up a grandstand finish.  Burrishoole rallied with two points and Seamus Roche and Darren Connolly for Davitts left the minimum between the sides when referee Declan Corcoran blew the final whistle as Davitts searched for the equaliser.

Outstanding for Davitts were John Costello, Michael Waldron, Lawrence Daly, John Heneghan, Liam Noone, Seamus Roche and Richie Kilkenny.

Davitts: David Mitchell, Brian Clarke, Michael Waldron, William Freeley, Tommy Clarke, Michael Ronayne, John Costello (0-1), John Heneghan, Tommy Mitchell (0-1), Liam Noone (0-3), Seamus Roche (1-1), Mark Ronayne, Darren Connolly (0-3), Clive Hennigan (1-0), Richie Kilkenny (0-2). Subs used: Lawrence Daly, Matthew Trench, JP Kirrane and Padraig Mangan.

Thanks to the three lads who left the debs in Sligo, Wally and Luke who drove them and Tommy for getting off work early and coming down from Dublin for the game. This kind of commitment augers well for the future of the club.

Scroll to top