Ballindine, Co. Mayo

August 20, 2023

Intermediate C’ship v Parke KC match report

Davitts 1-11  Parke Keelogues Crimlin 1-13

A storming last twenty five minute display from a never say die PKC side saw them overturn an eight point deficit to earn the two group points in this first round of the Mayo Intermediate Championship played in Ballindine on Saturday evening. Davitts, leading by 0-7 to 0-4 at halftime, had added a goal and two points to their tally in the first five minutes of the second half and appeared to be cruising but they completely took their foot off the pedal and the visitors took advantage, chipping away at the lead as the momentum swung around dramatically. PKC scored some splendid points in the second half and will be delighted with the win while Davitts will have to dust themselves down and prepare for a tough battle away to Bonniconlon in two weeks time.

Dylan Gallagher opened the scoring with a 2nd minute point which was cancelled out by Sean Sweeney two minutes later. In the eighth minute Davitts strung together a superb move involving Liam Kearns, Colm Boyle, Jack Melvin and Niall Treacy whose goal attempt was superbly saved by Conor McDonnell the PKC keeper. Fenton Kelly pointed the resultant 45 to put Davitts ahead. Cian Donohue shot an equaliser for PKC in the 14th minute but two points from Fenton Kelly and Colm Boyle in the 15th and 16th minutes put Davitts two clear. PKC instantly replied with two well taken points from Sean Sweeney and Darragh Reilly to tie the game again. Davitts got on top and although they spurned a couple of great goal chances, they scored three good points via Darragh McGale and Niall Treacy (2) to lead by three at the break.

Davitts got off to a flying start to the second half albeit with a huge slice of luck. A Jack Melvin effort for a point in the 3rd minute dropped short but the PKC keeper was adjudged to have caught the ball over the goal line and Davitts were awarded the three pointer. A rattled PKC side were hit with two points in the next minute from Niall Treacy and Dylan Gallagher to put the home side ahead by eight. Very few in the large attendance could envisage what was going to happen in the next twenty five minutes. PKC had points from Cian Donohue, Darragh Reilly, Ronan Reilly, Ronan Carolan, Simran Singh and Simon Cloherty between the 38th and 48th minutes to leave just two between the sides. Cathal Corless shot a classy point for Davitts in the 52nd minute but following an error in the Davitts defence, PKC were awarded a penalty a minute later which was hammered home by Darragh Reilly to level the game. Cathal Corless restored Davitts lead in the 56th minute but PKC equalised in the next minute with a fine Ronan Carolan score. Two superb injury time points by Simran Singh finally swung the game in PKC’s favour.

PKC had fine performances from Cian Lynch, Aaron McHale, Ronan Reilly, Darragh Reilly, Simran Singh and Ronan Carolan.

Best for Davitts were Jordan Flanagan, Cathal Corless, Fenton Kelly, Brian Og McTigue, Dylan Gallagher, Niall Treacy and Colm Boyle.

PKC: Conor McDonnell, Mark Walsh, Paul Moran, Aaron Moran, Cian Lynch, Aaron McHale, Cian McHale, Jack Doocey, Ronan Reilly (0-1), Darragh Reilly (1-2), Cathal Keaveney, Sean Sweeney (0-2), Simran Singh (0-3), Ronan Carolan (0-2), Cian Donohue (0-2). Subs: Simon Cloherty (0-1)

Davitts: Ronan McNamara, Cathal Higgins, Jordan Flanagan, Sean Keadin, Micheal Hett, Cathal Corless (0-2), Thomas Ronayne, Fenton Kelly (0-2), Jack Melvin (1-0), Brian Og McTigue, Liam Kearns, Shane Treacy, Colm Boyle (0-1), Niall Treacy (0-3), Dylan Gallagher (0-2). Subs: Darragh McGale (0-1), Mark Ronayne, Charlie Phillips.

Referee: Frank Flynn (Aghamore).

Please follow and like us:
Scroll to top