How the name Davitts came into existence
Throughout the ‘50s and ‘60s the team played under the name ‘Ballindine’ at one stage and ‘Irishtown’ at another. In fact, the name ‘St. Josephs’ was also used, as could be seen from the initials ‘S.J.’ on the crest of the jerseys at this time.
Since the title of the club seemed to be a ‘bone of contention’ at times, it was decided to try and settle on a name to unite both sides of the parish. At a meeting in the People’s Hall, Ballindine, in 1973, it was decided that the club be named ‘Davitts’ (after our national hero Michael Davitt, who arranged the first meeting of the tenant farmers in Irishtown on April 20th 1879). This was to be on a trial basis for one year but, of course, it has lasted ever since and the club has continued to expand and prosper. The first chairman of Davitts GAA Club was Joe Turner.